The Safe Air Machine (SAM)™ uses a patented design and is portable and easy to use. It is not connected to the HVAC system of an automobile; just use a seatbelt to strap it into the backseat, plug it in to a standard DC connector, and flip a switch. While it’s running, the machine will recirculate the air constantly, keeping it clean and safe to breathe.
It’s also possible to install the Safe Air Machine (SAM)™ in your trunk. Simple ducting connects it to the cabin of your car, and the machine’s sturdy frame allows it to be bolted down inside a van or a truck.
How it Works
Our machine’s motor blower first draws air through a set of tribo-electrically charged particulate pre-filters and gas phase filters, which are composed of nonwovens, dessicants, coal-based activated carbon, and a catalyst. These capture or breakdown humidity, gross particulate, aldehydes, a wide range of gasses, and carbon monoxide.
In addition, a filter media packet can be included that either contains coconut-shell-based activated carbon (to capture hydrocarbons like benzene) or military-grade impregnated activated carbon that captures poison gasses.
Finally, a HEPA captures at least 99.97% of fine particulate. This includes all types of viruses and bacteria, radiation particles, diesel soot, black carbon, cadmium, lead, etc.
We have maintained patents in three countries because our invention is portable, serves as a dual purpose armrest/console, and most importantly, because we have strong evidence that our filter brings concnetration levels of serious pollutants down to levels that are safe to breathe.
The proprietary blend of technology used in our successful prototypes includes:
- A true HEPA, plus six to eight layers of non-woven tribo-electric charged particulate filter media to serve as pre-filters for the HEPA to sustain its long-term effectiveness for capturing fine particles.
- Filter media packets uniquely designed to adsorb or breakdown the designated gases, including desiccants, adsorbents, chemisorbents, and a room temperature moisture tolerant base metal catalyst to break down carbon monoxide. Gaseous phase filter media are in granular or pellet form, in unique small packed beds, and most can be regenerated by heat so that they can be recycled. No adhesives are used on these filter media.
- A powerful motor/blower that can circulate and clean the air in a typical sedan cabin approximately 20-30 times per hour, or every two minutes.
- A device configuration such that it can serve as a portable armrest/console, secured by a seat belt in the middle of a vehicle’s back seat, as well as a high performance air purifier.
Our patents are as follows:
- United States patent number 6,773,477, granted August 10, 2004
- Mexico patent number 236974, granted May 18, 2006
- Canada patent number 2,390,060, granted July 17, 2007